Thursday, November 14, 2013

Prompt 53


The paved road my new place sits on doesn't get too much traffic so there’s always runners and bikers. I take off down the road on my mountain bike for the first time on a cold November morning, hoping that the road will as nice on the winding, hill covered back road that I lived at up until now. The tires grip the pavement way better than the dirt that I’m used too and every rotation of the pedals speeds the bike effortlessly. It’s relaxing at first but after a mile or so of biking the straight, smooth road gets a little tedious. There’s no bumps, no rough patches or any side trails to tackle. All there is around me is flat cement and no challenges, all making for a nice ride but leaving you wishing for something more.

1 comment:

  1. "All there is around me is flat cement and no challenges, all making for a nice ride but leaving you wishing for something more."

    I worry about endings that settle everything, wrap it up, coddle the reader. If it were mine, I'd end it this way: "All there is around me is flat cement and no challenges, flat cement and no challenges...."

    That makes your point but also makes the reader do a little work, which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete