Friday, August 30, 2013

Writer's Autobiography

First Person:

I've never had a very strong interest in writing, and throughout grade school I always enjoyed math and science more. I would often struggle with writing papers in high school, partially because of a habit of procrastinating, partially because I was terrible when it came to focusing on any topic I wasn't already interested in. I remember disliking writing papers so much in high school that I would usually figure out how many papers I could skip during a class and still pass during the first day. In college, I' found writing to be a much easier task. I've come to enjoy writing much more than I did before, and never have problems completing assignments. Now that I've found a little more motivation in school, I have no trouble getting started on an assignment, and I've found that I really like writing, even when it comes to subjects that I hate. I prefer to write factual papers and essays when I write, and I find my writing comes out best when I write without having to use fluff or stretch out a paper.

Second Person:

You sit down to type up your up and coming assignment for class, quickly bust out a few sentences, and then turn on the t.v. After you decide what to watch, you relax for a few minutes and set your laptop aside. You run to the kitchen to get some water, then go back to watching your show. You try to think of what to write next for your paper, but decide that since you have four more days to work on it you can just take care of it later, since getting started is the hardest part anyway. Three days later, are just about to go to bed when you remember you have a paper due the next day, so you quickly make up some crap to put on paper, and google your topic when you’re done so have you have some sources to put at the end. You do this for just about your whole high school career and somehow skate by with it, and you even get halfway decent grades on half your assignments. After high school you start college and decide that it’s time to turn over a new leaf, and that you need to focus and and put a little effort this time around. It works a lot better than your old writing methods.

Third Person

He seems to be an okay writer, but it’s hard to tell from the amount of assignments he turns in. He tends to skip papers, especially the longer ones, but the stuff he does do usually deserves a good grade. He improved at turning in assignments throughout high school, but seems to write at about the same level he always has. The only time he really goes above and beyond with his writing is when it happens to be on a topic he’s already interested in, only putting in effort when he’s writing about computers or physics or something nerdy like that. But when he does, he does manage to turn out some really good stuff. In one of the classes he liked his freshman year, he turned a year length project that had a 25 page minimum into a 100+ page paper that scored a great grade, but in the same year blew completely blew off a 20 page paper in a different class.

1 comment:

  1. The second person true-life confession made this old teacher smile. I know now you like the factual, but, judging from the second person piece, you also have a nice flair for humor and don't take yourself toooo seriously, which can lead to nice things for a writer.

    God, I hope you meant to be a little jokey there!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete