Sitting at the Tim Horton's my girlfriend works at, I listened to a big group of elderly women next to me. The first bit of conversation I hear was "When I wake up in the morning, I can't make up my mind between toast and cereal, so how could I settle on a house" which brought on plenty of laughter.
The next stretch of conversation I caught from their quiet but energetic chattering:
"Okay guys, time for some more gambling"
"Oh,I don't think I'm going tonight"
"Well tonight will probably be when we hit the jackpot then," which brought on even more laughter, as the group got up to leave, presumably heading to Hollywood Slots.
I think even for an assignment like this which asks you to explore the random, there has to be a little more shape to the piece. The two conversational fragments need to hook up somehow, at least in your mind. Or one or the other of them has to be emphasized harder--a description of the speakers might do that. After all, if the gambler was dressed in Carharrts, that's one story; if he was dressed in an Armani suit, that's another....
ReplyDelete