Thursday, September 19, 2013
Prompt 16
As strange as this may seem, the one topic that I could go on and on about for hours is math. Ever since I was a little kid I've loved math class, and I've always been great at it. I was in put a year ahead for math when I first started school, and have always learned it quickly. It’s always been my favorite subject, no matter what topic I was covering. All the way from fractions to advanced calculus I've always loved it. Most people think math is about as boring topic as can be, so there’s rarely anyone who would be interested talking about it, but in school I always loved discussing it with teachers, and the more challenging the problems were the better. Throughout high school the teachers I liked the most were inherently my math teachers, and the higher and higher up I went the more this became true. I would usually take two math classes a semester in an effort to get further ahead to study more and more. I took AP Calc my junior year, and although I frequently fell asleep or missed class since it was first thing in the morning, I loved the topic probably more than anything I've ever studied. I was intent on taking the calculus two the next year and spent hours trying to work out a way to get into the class, which seemed to be impossible but eventually worked out. My school didn't offer the course, and since my GPA was absolutely terrible I wasn't eligible for the night class program at the University of Maine. Luckily I found an amazing program called early college for me at EMCC that didn't require fantastic grades. The program was usually used to take classes like psychology or english 101, but after I met with the woman in charge of the program, she agreed to let me take the class. I took that at night while taking AP Stats at my high school, and loved both of them. From there I enrolled at EMCC, but unfortunately I had exhausted all the math classes the school had to offer. Still, I took classes that in my mind are all extensions of math concepts. I used calculus throughout my physics courses, my economics courses, and on any assignment I could fit it into. After my first semester I met the the dean of math at EMCC and worked out a way to take calc three as an independent study. This turned out to be about the hardest thing I've ever done, as I realized that I learn best from lectures and examples, which are hard to find on the internet when it comes to advanced math. I worked through it though and passed and loved the subject even more than I had before. I planned to go straight from there to a pursuing a math degree, but was stopped when I say the fifty thousand dollar a year price tag at the program I wanted to go to. So, I've changed course of education to something more affordable, but still love doing math work. I've helped some other people through some of the topics I covered a few years ago, and jump at the chance to discuss numbers, which fortunately happens a lot with all the intricate calculations that are used to grade our results. It’ll always be something that I’m more than willing to talk about, and to me is about as fascinating as it gets.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Please, please break a piece this long into shorter paragraphs--it's both a courtesy to the reader and a way to organize and think about your writing as you are composing. Think paragraphs, not just sentences! If it will make it easier, think of each graf as a discrete step in an algebraic problem--now you wouldn't jumble all those together without space between them, would you?
ReplyDeleteWeird for a mathophobe such as myself to read this--more power to you! God knows the world needs more mathematicians and not so many people who can ace paragraphing.
:)
IMO, there's something wrong with a country, seriously wrong, when it can't financially support the educational dreams of its talented students.