I went into the office at my work to start doing the final cash out for the night, and I open the safe to see five deposits bags sitting in front of me that had clearly been forgotten by the day manager. Our insurance policy only covers a single deposit and a limited amount, so I knew they’d have to go to the bank at the end of the night. There’s a rule against bringing deposits to the bank after dark at my work, and unfortunately we’re only allowed to do it if we can arrange a police escort to accompany us to the bank. I gave dispatch a call, who happily agreed to have an officer come by when I got done work and follow me to the bank.
I stepped outside as officer Owens pulled up to the store carrying my plastic bag stuffed with twenty thousand dollars worth of deposits. I walked to the police cruiser and Owens rolled down his window (We know each other fairly well since we both work nights in the most boring town ever.)
“How’s it going Owens,” I said.
“Pretty good. Which bank are we heading to”
“The one up by the gas station. You’re just gonna follow right?”
“Yup, let’s get headed”
I reached into my pocket for my keys and found the worst thing imaginable, empty pockets. I checked my other pocket and found nothing there, and started to realize how bad of a time it was to lose my keys. The key ring I use had my car keys, the keys to the deposit box at the bank, and the keys to get back into the store after it was locked for the night, which it was. I turned back to face Owens cruiser. “Shit, you’re not gonna believe what I just did.”
“Uh oh.”
“Yeah my keys are locked in there. And the key to the depository is on the same ring”
“Oh shit. Well that’s a problem”
“Uh huh, I’m gonna have to wake one of the other managers up and get a store key, there’s no other way to get into the store and I can’t really wait around with this much cash until the openers show up”
“Well start calling I guess”
I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and started calling everybody that had a key to get into the store. I called both of the morning managers and left them both texts and then started calling the higher ups in the store (I was a pretty new to management at this point in time,) fearing the response I would get when I woke one of them up at two in the morning to tell them I’m locked out of the store trying to bring money to the bank. After fifteen or twenty frantic minutes and about fifty phone calls, I finally got a call back from Dan, one of the morning managers. “Hey Dan, sorry to call in the middle of the night, but I need some help.”
“That’s alright, what’s up”
“Well this is gonna sound really dumb but I was trying to bring some deposits after I closed and I lost my keys in the store. I need someone to unlock the door for me, I have like five deposits here.”
“Oh wow. I’ll be down there in a few minutes for you, I live pretty close.”
I told Owens that someone was on there way to open the doors, and we waited patiently for Dan to arrive and save the day. In the two years since this I don’t think I've lost my keys even once, or even let them out of my sight.
Pretty good story! Any audience ought to be able to put itself in your shoes: I've lost keys (and wallets and lots of other stuff!) and I've locked myself out of house and car! (And just the other day, I locked my wife into the house, nearly giving her a panic attack....)
ReplyDeleteThe situation, the dialogue, the stuff you were thinking--all handled smoothly.