Version 1
Last winter I was working late nights at my work, usually getting done around one thirty or two. As anyone who's worked shifts like this can tell, they usually lead you to some kind of trouble. The town I work in is just about empty at night, with the only cars passing through the main road and all the side streets completely quiet. So every night after me and my coworkers got out of work, we spend hours upon hours stupidly driving around in the snow, doing donuts in parking lots and handbrake sliding around corners. One of the best spots is the empty lot behind the strip mall nearby. It consisted of a wide open S shaped stretch about 75 feet long that opened up to a huge empty lot occupied only by two light poles spaced around twenty feet apart. It’s a blast to drive around in, with all level surfaces and tons of empty space so even if you make a mistake just about nothing can go wrong.
One snowy night I was scheduled out a little earlier than usual, and left the store around ten. I cruised around the town a little then headed to the strip mall around eleven. Once I hit the curved stretch heading out to the open lot, I put my toyota corolla in a low gear and pushed the throttle on the little 1.8 liter, 125 horsepower engine. I handbraked into the corners to throw the back end out, using as much throttle as I could without completely spinning the studded tires to straighten out on the exit. I got out to the opening and saw a small truck parked by the building, but didn't think much of it since the last time I came out there and saw another person, they started drifting around with me. I did a few lazy circles around the light poles, keeping a pretty safe distance before truck started up and headed towards me. I figured worst case scenario I would be asked to leave, which I’d happily do of course, as I was stupidly breaking the law on someone else’s property. Once the truck reached me, I read the “maine coast property management” sticker on the side and knew I was gonna be kicked out. The truck parked and out hopped the most furious old man I've ever seen. My window was already rolled down so I started to apologize, as I was clearly in the wrong here. Before I could get a word out the man started screaming, “Get off this property, right now dammit. Get the hell out of here!” The guy started smashing the hood of my car with a cheap plastic flashlight, so I figured it was best to just get out of there. I drove away as he hit the roof of my car a few times, left the lot and headed home, about as freaked out as could be by his reactions.
Version 2
Last winter I was working late nights at my work, usually getting done around one thirty or two. As anyone who's worked shifts like this can tell, they usually lead you to some kind of trouble. The town I work in is just about empty at night, with the only cars passing through the main road and all the side streets completely quiet. So every night after me and my coworkers got out of work, we spend hours upon hours driving around in the snow, doing donuts in parking lots and handbrake sliding around every corner. One of the best spots is the empty lot behind the strip mall nearby. It consisted of a narrow S shaped stretch about 75 feet long that opened up to a huge empty lot occupied only by a few light poles spaced a decent distance apart. It’s a blast to drive around in, with all level surfaces and a good amount of empty space making fairly safe.
One snowy night I was scheduled out a little earlier than usual, and left the store around ten. I cruised around the town a little then headed to the strip mall around eleven. Once I hit the curved stretch heading out to the open lot, I put my toyota corolla in a low gear and pushed the throttle on the punchy 4 cylinder engine. I handbraked into the corners at around 50 miles an hour to throw the back end out, holding the throttle on the floor and scraping the studded tires through the ice with the engine bouncing off the rev limiter to pull out of the corners quick. I got out to the opening and saw a small truck parked by the building, but didn't think much of it since the last time I came out there and saw another person, they started drifting around with me. I did a few dozen circles around the light poles with the nose of the car about two feet away from the cement base of the lights before truck started up and headed towards me. I figured worst case scenario I would be asked to leave, which I’d happily do of course, as I was stupidly breaking the law on someone else’s property. Once the truck reached me, I read the “maine coast property management” sticker on the side and knew I was gonna be kicked out. The truck parked and out hopped the most furious man I've ever seen. My window was already rolled down so I started to apologize, as I was clearly in the wrong here. Before I could get a word out the intimidating looking guy started screaming, “Get off this property, right now dammit. Get the hell out of here!” The guy started smashing the hood of my car with a hefty metal maglite, so I figured it was best to just get out of there. I drove away as he hit the roof of my car a few times, left the lot and headed home, about as freaked out as could be by his reactions.
Version 3
Last winter I was working late nights at my work, usually getting done around one thirty or two. As anyone who's worked shifts like this can tell, they usually lead you to some kind of trouble. The town I work in is just about empty at night, with the only cars passing through the main road and all the side streets completely quiet. So every night after me and my coworkers got out of work, we spend hours upon hours driving around in the snow, doing donuts in parking lots and handbrake sliding around every corner. One of the best spots is the empty lot behind the strip mall nearby. It consisted of a tricky S shaped stretch about 75 feet long that opened up to a huge empty lot occupied only by a few dozen light poles grouped fairly close together, making a little tricky but very fun to drive in.
One snowy night I was scheduled out a little earlier than usual, and left the store around ten. I cruised around the town a little then headed to the strip mall around eleven. Once I hit the curved stretch heading out to the open lot, I put my toyota supra in second gear and pushed the throttle on the twin turbo, 280 horsepower engine. I slid into the corners at around 70 miles an hour with the back end sliding around, holding the throttle on the floor and spinning the slick tires through the ice with the turbos forcing tons of power into the engine and exiting the corners sideways. I got out to the opening and saw a small truck parked by the building, but didn't think much of it since the last time I came out there and saw another person, they started drifting around with me. I did a few dozen circles through the narrow gaps between the light poles with the nose of the car sliding inches away from the cement base of the lights before truck started up and charged towards me. I figured worst case scenario I would be asked to leave, which I’d happily do of course, as I was stupidly breaking the law on someone else’s property. Once the truck reached me, I read the “maine coast security services” sticker on the side and knew I was gonna be kicked out. The truck parked and out hopped the most furious man I've ever seen, wielding a baseball bat. My window was already rolled down so I started to apologize, as I was clearly in the wrong here. Before I could get a word out the huge security guard started screaming, “Get off this property, right now dammit. Get the hell out of here!” The guy started smashing the hood of my car with the bat, so I figured it was best to just get out of there. I drove away as he hit the roof of my car a few times, left the lot and headed home, scared for my life.
Aw, I thought in version 3. you were going to jump out of your Fast and Furious/GTA car, grab the baseball bat, and do a number on the old guy's truck. Too bad!
ReplyDeleteAnd, uh, if I see you coming some snowy night, I will pull right over, sir--the road is yours!
:)
Three very enjoyable reads: the first enjoyable for the content itself; the second for the changes you ring off the basic model; and the third for the more or less realistic fantasy you bring to the material. Very nicely done.