Sunday, September 15, 2013

Theme Week 3

It’s around 11:30 at night, a cold one in the middle of winter. I’m working the closing shift at my restaurant, which usually keeps you there till about one in the morning, depending on how things are going. There’s only a few people on the clock this late at night, and tonight I have Kurt and Collin, some younger kids who like to joke around a bit but are currently quietly working. I’m taking some of the last cash registers of the night out back to the office to be counted when I hear the phone ring, and go to answer it. “Ellsworth McDonald’s, Nick speaking”

“Hey Nick, it’s Megan. I’m not gonna be able to make it in tomorrow, there’s something wrong with my new house.” (Megan’s one of the other department heads at my work)

“Well what’s wrong with it?”

“Well, do you believe in ghosts?”

“Uhh, no.”

“Well the house is haunted. We had to leave and my uniforms there, and I can’t go back and get it”

“Are you kidding me? You’re supposed to be the opening manager tomorrow.”

“I know, can you try to find someone else to do it.”

“I’ll try. You might want to call Brooke and tell her this yourself though.” (Brooke’s the store manager.)

“Uh sure, I can do that. Thanks”

After she hung up, I couldn't contain my laughter. Kurt comes up to find out what I’m laughing about.
“What was that all about?”

“ Megan just called out for tomorrow, and you’ll never guess why”

“Why”

“She says her house is haunted, so she can’t get her uniform for work”

“Seriously?”

We laugh about it for a minute, then I grab the schedule to look at how short this was going to leave us in the morning. I walk back to the office with the schedule and my cash registers, and check who the next manager would be after Megan was supposed to be in. It’s Robin, the third department head in the store, and “First Assistant,” which means she’s second in command at the store. I give her a call her to let her know she’s going to have to come in early to open the store. After a few rings she answers and asks “What’s up?”

“Well Megan called out for the open tomorrow. You’re the next one in so you’re probably gonna need to come in.”

“What the hell did she call out for”

“You’re gonna love this. She says her house is haunted.”

“Are you joking”

“Seriously, she says it’s haunted and she can’t get her uniform.”
“That’s got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If she wanted an extra day for her honeymoon why wouldn't she just says she’s sick.” (Megan had just gotten married)

“Right? I don’t know what she was thinking”

“Well I’ll come in I guess. She is never gonna live this down though”

“I bet. Well I have to get back to work. I’ll see you tomorrow”

2 comments:

  1. Nice excuse! Good entry for the forthcoming book "Haunted Houses of Downeast Maine: Hancock County!"

    It's an interesting conversation and I think you have a good ear for what to include and how to make it sound natural. It's a good skill to have for creative nonfiction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did she ever get her uniform? If she did get it, can you be sure it harbors no guest ghosts? It would suck bad if your McDonalds became haunted due to her bringing them aboard!

    I heard Bangor Burger King or Wendys is pulling down their old building and putting up something more modern--they say it's just an upgrade, but what if...it's really because the old place is HAUNTED???

    Bwahahaha!

    ReplyDelete