Saturday, October 26, 2013

Prompt 39

My first day on the job, also the grand opening of the store. I was fifteen years old and as nervous as can be, and the chaos in the restaurant didn't help much. It went by in a blur

Working after school has become something I look forward too. I get along great with the people I work with, good at the job, and I usually have fun with it.

I've turned sixteen, and now I can learn everything that younger kids in the store aren't allowed to work. I learn how to work in the kitchen and love it, the hectic bustle and focus on moving quick.

I work mainly in the kitchen over the last year and I’m just about the fastest person in the store, better at it than all the managers working there.

I come into work and Brooke asks me to talk to her in the office. “At the meeting yesterday all we all agreed that we wanted you to become a manager. Would you be interested? There’s a training class starting soon that you would be attending for the next three months”

I’m in the last few weeks of the class and my Brooke asks me if I’d want to start another three months of classes as soon as I complete this one. I agree to do it, knowing that each one comes with a pay raise.

I took over the closing shifts when I started college, and I learn a lot doing it. Being the person in charge of the store eventually goes from being stressful and intimidating to being everyday work.

I come in one day and hear that the store manager of Machias was fired. One of our department heads is being sent there, and I’m taking over his position in the store.

Today I hear that one of the high up managers in Bucksport has left. I get a call from the district manager, Tom. “I was wondering if you’d be open to working in Bucksport?”

“Yeah, I would be. What did you have in mind?”

“Why don’t you just meet with me and Doug (The owner of the company) on Monday, We’ll talk about it then.”

1 comment:

  1. You say you're fast--and this moves along bangetybang. You say you've got over being scared and intimidated--and this radiates confidence. You say you can learn--and this shows you applying the lessons of the course to your material.

    On the basis of this, I'd hire you!

    ReplyDelete